The time is now to send in your proposal for new classes this fall. Please read the following instructions and click the form below.
New Course Proposal Instructions
Please read the instructions below, complete the Fall 2018 New Course Planning Form and include all referenced items on this checklist to be considered for the 2018 fall semester. All materials must be received by June 14, 2018. If you need additional time to determine availability, you may revise your proposal to add dates until July 2, 2018.
- The course title is clearly identified.
- The course objectives are clearly defined.
- The target audience and sub-codes to be addressed are indicated.
- A detailed course abstract is included.
- A description of audio-visual materials is provided.
- A resume and/or statement of qualifications is attached.
- References and/or statement of experience is attached.
- Contact information including name, phone number and email address.
- An all – inclusive fee per day is included. Please see the note below *. If you are travelling from out of state please make a note of the portion of the fee that is intended cover your travel expenses.
- Three dates per class submittal.
* The fee should be based on five (5) full hours of instruction time, and does not include breaks or set-up time. Please note, in order to be sure that you have enough course material, you may need to prepare for 6 or more hours of teaching. As a minimum standard, all class days, unless otherwise discussed, will begin at 8:00 a.m. and conclude no earlier than 3:00 p.m. Please note that this time period includes a set up period (30 minutes), morning break (15 minutes), lunch break (60 minutes) and mid-afternoon break (15 minutes). Some locations/courses may begin earlier and thus end earlier at NJ DFS discretion. If your course is NOT 5 full hours, please clearly indicate the total length.
Please take into consideration that your fee should be competitively bid. Our staff may or may not contact you to negotiate a lower fee if your proposal is rejected for budgetary reasons.
For instructors traveling from out of state:
Please include a breakdown of your fee showing an approximate amount for travel expenses and your instructor fee per class as separate amounts.
Classes are scheduled Monday through Saturday. Please list three (3) dates per class proposal that we can use to schedule your class(es) if they are chosen. Do not supply any date that is not okay for us to use.
The dates for the fall semester are Sept 24 – Dec 15, 2018. Due to holidays, please DO NOT include the following dates: October 6, 8, November 6, 12, 22, 23, or 24.
We schedule throughout the state of New Jersey and are NOT able to take requests for specific locations. For academy location information please refer to the driving directions section of our course brochure, located at the end of the brochure.
Please leave dates that are submitted, available for our scheduling until August 31 so we can schedule you if your class is chosen by the Division of Fire Safety. If a date becomes unavailable, please contact our office immediately to let us know.
Our preferred submission method is to use Dropbox.com to send formal proposals. If you have not already received an email inviting you to share a Dropbox folder, please email me, firstname.lastname@example.org and request one. Follow the instructions from Dropbox after you receive the email invitation to share a folder with me. Please send me a separate email notifying me of any submission you upload to Dropbox.
Small attachments (5 pages or less) may be emailed to me at email@example.com. Large files are sometimes rejected by our network server, so please let me know if you don’t get a reply to your submittal and we’ll find another way to send your proposal.
As a last resort, proposals may also be mailed to:
Fire Safety Training Program
Attn: Jolene Steele
1000 Morris Ave, L-145
Union, NJ 07083