New Course Proposal Instructions
Please carefully read the instructions below. We are attempting to plan and schedule for an entire year. To that end, we are asking you to provide us with dates for the spring as well as the fall.
Please complete the Fall 2019/Spring 2020 Planning Form and include all additional items on the checklist below to be considered for the upcoming year. PLEASE DO NOT MAIL PAPER! There is no need to submit the same document(s) more than once. For example, if you are submitting three course titles, we only need one copy of your resume. Please limit resumes and references to two pages each max.
- The course title is clearly identified. (This is a class you have not previously taught for DFS.)
- The course objectives are clearly defined.
- The target audience and sub-codes to be addressed are indicated.
- A detailed course abstract/outline is included. Please limit to one page.
- A description/sample of audio-visual materials is provided.
- A resume and/or statement of qualifications is attached. Please limit to one page.
- References and/or statement of experience is attached. Please limit to one page.
- Contact information including name, phone number and email address.
- An all – inclusive fee per day is included. Please see the note below *. If you are travelling from out of state please make a note of the portion of the fee that is intended to cover your travel expenses.
- Three dates per class submittal.
* The fee should be based on five (5) full hours of instruction time, and does not include breaks or set-up time. Please note, in order to be sure that you have enough course material, you may need to prepare for 6 or more hours of teaching. As a minimum standard, all class days, unless otherwise discussed, will begin at 8:00 a.m. and conclude no earlier than 3:00 p.m. Please note that this time period includes a set up period (30 minutes), morning break (15 minutes), lunch break (60 minutes) and mid-afternoon break (15 minutes). Some locations/courses may begin earlier and thus end earlier at NJ DFS discretion. If your course is NOT 5 full hours, please clearly indicate the total length.
Please take into consideration that your fee should be competitively bid. Our staff may or may not contact you to negotiate a lower fee if your proposal is rejected for budgetary reasons.
For instructors traveling from out of state:
Please include a breakdown of your fee showing an approximate amount for travel expenses and your instructor fee per class as separate amounts.
Classes are scheduled Monday through Saturday. Please list three (3) dates per class proposal for each semester that we can use to schedule your class(es) if they are chosen. Do not supply any date that is not okay for us to use. Please notify our office immediately if you need to withdraw a date.
The dates for the Fall semester are September 24 – December 14. Due to holidays, please DO NOT include the following dates: October 14, November 5, 11, 28, 29, 30. Please hold these dates until August 15.
The dates for the Spring semester 2020 are March 16 – June 19. Due to holidays, please DO NOT include the following dates: April 10, 11 and May 23, and 25. Please hold these dates until October 15.
We schedule throughout the state of New Jersey and are NOT able to take requests for specific locations. For academy location information please refer to the driving directions section of our course brochure, located at the end of the brochure.
Please leave dates that are submitted, available for our scheduling so we can schedule you if your class is chosen by the Division of Fire Safety. If a date becomes unavailable, please contact our office immediately to let us know.
Our preferred submission method is to use Dropbox.com to send formal proposals. If you have not already received an email inviting you to share a Dropbox folder, please email me, firstname.lastname@example.org and request one. Follow the instructions from Dropbox after you receive the email invitation to share a folder with me. Please send me a separate email notifying me of any submission you upload to Dropbox.
Small attachments (5 pages or less) may be emailed to me at email@example.com. Large files are sometimes rejected by our network server, so please let me know if you don’t get a reply to your submittal and we’ll find another way to send your proposal.
Proposals may also be mailed, but we request that you upload them to a USB so they are in digital format, instead of paper. Mail to the following address:
Fire Safety Training Program
Attn: Jolene Steele
1000 Morris Ave, L-145
Union, NJ 07083
Click here for the Planning Form for New Courses
Click here for instructions for Planning Instructions for Current Classes
Click here for the Planning Form for Current Classes