We are accepting proposals for courses as part of the Fall Semester CEU program. If you’re interested, please read the following information/instructions and submit your proposal(s) using the attached forms. Proposals are due by Friday, June 2, 2023.
By submitting a proposal, you are stating that you are willing to follow the rules and procedures mandated by the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety and that the material you are proposing to teach is adequate to provide 5 full hours of instruction, or for half day classes, a full 2.5 hours of instruction regardless of the number of students in attendance or the level of class participation. Please note, in order to be sure that you have enough course material, you may need to prepare for 3 (half day) or 6 (full day) or more hours of teaching.
Handouts are required for all scheduled classes. For in-academy classes, handouts must be printed. As a courtesy, we print your handouts and ship them to you. Unless you’re travelling by air, you are responsible for accepting delivery and distributing them to your students. For printing purposes, all handouts must be submitted to Kean University by July 10, for all scheduled classes. We will provide you information on how to forward your handouts to us at a later date. Handouts not submitted will be the responsibility of the instructor to print and distribute.
You must be willing to travel throughout the state of New Jersey to teach at any of our facilities.
Please note, “Training which is controlled by NJAC 5:71 or 5:73 shall be reviewed and approved by the Office of Training and Certification within the Division of Fire Safety. All approval shall be confirmed by written response from the Office of Training and Certification.” All classroom/facility requests made by Kean University are made only for the sole use of classrooms and audio/visual equipment in that facility.
If you intend to include any “hands on” training that involves group/student participation and/or a live burn demonstration of any type, you, the instructor, are responsible for contacting the Office of Training and Certification, to obtain the requisite permission and/or permits. No exceptions will be made to this requirement. Approval for Kean University to schedule your course does NOT include the permission/permits as required in NJAC 5:71 or 5:73.
The proposal forms for new courses requires the following information. Forms for previously taught courses do not require as much information. Please use the proper form to submit either new or previously taught course proposals . Proposals are due by Friday, June 2, 2023.
- Contact information including name, mailing address, business information if applicable, title (for publication purposes), phone number and email address is included.
- The exact course title(s).
- An all-inclusive fee for five hours of instruction, not including breaks. For half day courses we will divide your fee in half.
For the proposal, we ask for an all-inclusive fee, but if you’re travelling from out of state, we also ask that you break down that fee so we can compare your instructor fee against instructors who are not travelling from out of state. We don’t compensate for hotels, mileage, etc. so please make sure your all-inclusive fee takes that into consideration.
Please base your fee on the use of refundable travel reservations as we will not be responsible for change fees, deposits lost or any other travel fees that you may incur. We reserve the right to cancel for any reason within 24 hours of your scheduled class.
In an effort to simplify fees, please provide a full day, in-person fee and a full day Zoom fee. The fee you propose is for the entire upcoming fiscal year, 2024, for all titles you propose. For scheduled half day classes, we’ll just divide your fee in half.
Please keep in mind, when you propose your fees, this is a grant. We may or may not ask you to negotiate your fee, if it is too high. Also, please keep in mind that for high fees we may require a higher student registration in order to run the class.
- Three dates for each title. Please don’t assign dates to specific titles. If you wish, you may submit dates that are Zoom only versus in academy.
The dates for the Fall semester are September 18 – December 9. Due to holidays, please DO NOT include the following dates:
October 6,7,9 November 7,10,11, 23, or 24.
Please hold these dates until August 15.
- For new courses only, please include a short, 3 – 5 sentence, course description in Word format for marketing and publication purposes.
If you intend to split a five-hour class for Zoom purposes, please include proper descriptions for both parts as well as in-person classes.
For example, if part one is required in order to take part two, you must state that in the description. Word format is required.
- The course objectives are clearly defined. (For new courses only)
- The target audience and sub-codes to be addressed are indicated. (For new courses only)
- A detailed course abstract is included. (For new courses only)
- A description of audio-visual materials is included. You do not need to include your entire presentation. (For new courses only)
- A resume and/or statement of qualifications is included. References and/or statement of experience is included. There is a one-page limit for each. Do not submit more than once. (For new courses only if you have not taught for DFS in the past three years.)
- Please limit the entire package to ten pages or less.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Email is the best way to reach me, but you can also call my office at 908-737-3064 or my cell, 908-902-2900.
I look forward to hearing from you!
The Fire Safety Training Program